Updated on September 26, 2019
Front Row Ventures is the first Canadian student-run venture capital fund managed entirely by students that invests only in student-led startups. In partnership with Real Ventures since 2016, FRV has successfully run a $600K Quebec-focused pilot fund over the past two years. Operating across 20+ university campuses in Quebec and Ontario, FRV’s active investment team now counts 45+ outstanding students from diverse backgrounds. FRV is currently raising a $10M fund to expand its operations to more than 35 university campuses across Canada; from Quebec to Ontario, British Columbia, the Prairies, and the Maritimes.
We are seeking a dynamic go-getter for the position of National Operations Manager for FRV. This person will join the Real Ventures family to help build FRV’s programming and ensure a successful launch across Canada. As a core member of the FRV HQ team, the successful applicant will report to the Front Row Ventures National Managing Director. He/she will own various aspects of FRV’s model consolidation, growth strategy and expansion operations, as well as leading FRVs national community & marketing efforts.
Project Management – Organize timelines, deadlines, and schedules for ongoing projects with the community and investment teams. Responsible for communicating back to the HQ and ensuring timely completion of team initiatives. Managing 12 to 20 people on various projects.
Content creation – Write blog posts, articles, newsletters, communications materials, and materials for social media channels. Provide the community teams with marketing & brand guidelines
Social media marketing – Working with the community associates to create, manage and grow the company’s presence through blogs, Twitter, Facebook and other strategically-relevant online properties
Events and event planning – Attend industry events in your city (often outside of 9-5 hours) and plan meetups for your community
Public relations – Manage incoming media requests and build relationships with industry journalists; create, execute and measure media campaigns
Founder relations – Responsible for founders’ support – answer questions (phone, email, Twitter) and manage any online questions/feedback.
Qualifications & skills
- University degree in Business, Communications, Marketing, or a relevant field
- 2-3 years of experience in a similar role
- Strong writing skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills and a track record of delivering results
- Data-driven, with the ability to analyze, test and optimize strategies
- Passionate about technology and the power of entrepreneurship to shape the future
- Known for your exceptional organizational skills
- Bilingualism (French/English)
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience with graphic design/photo & video production
- Have a good knowledge of the Canadian startup ecosystem
FRV / Real Ventures perks:
- Offices at Notman House, Espace CDPQ, and at the MaRS Discovery District — Montreal and Toronto’s innovation hubs — where you’ll rub elbows with every VC in town, plus the best of tech in Canada
- Flexible working hours and the option to work remotely on occasion
- Work alongside a standout team with 20+ years of experience in the tech/VC space
- Connect with Canada’s finest startup investors, executives and founders on a daily basis
- Contact with the most ambitious students and young leaders in tech in Canada
How to apply:
If this sounds like a good fit, please send your resume to email@example.com.
Instead of a cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this role?
- How will you make a positive impact in the workplace?
- What unique contribution could you make to Front Row Ventures and Real Ventures?
- What do you want to get out of this role? How will it help you achieve your personal goals?
**Please include a link to your portfolio that showcases relevant projects you have worked on.
Real is an equal opportunity employer. We have worked hard to create a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and that diversity of thought enables us to challenge one another to think bigger and broader.