The confidentiality policy applies to the Real Ventures website. It takes into account the requirements under the Act to modernize legislative provisions respecting the protection of personal information (Law 25) and the Protection of personal information (Act respecting access to information; CQLR, chapter A 2.1) and any other applicable act or regulation. It is aimed at informing you about the practices implemented regarding personal or confidential information.
Information transmitted automatically
When you access the Real Ventures website, information is automatically exchanged between your computer and our server, without your intervention. This exchange of information is necessary solely to meet the technological requirements of browsing the Internet and is used for statistical purposes. The exchanged information consists of:
- The name of your Internet provider domain, for example, “your-provider.com” and your IP address (number automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet service provider for Web browsing purposes);
- The type of browser and operating system you use;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The pages you consult and the duration of such consultation;
- If you access our site from another site, the address of the referencing site.
Real Ventures only keeps the information needed to have a record of the number of visitors, the pages visited most often, the technology used by the site’s users, the referencing sites and the country of origin of visitors to the site. This information is in no way used to collect, communicate or exchange user lists.
Personal information is information that relates to a natural person and allows the person to be identified, for example, the date of birth, personal address, social insurance number, driver’s licence number, health insurance number and age.
Personal information is confidential and cannot be disclosed without the authorization of the person concerned, except for certain exceptions provided for in the Act respecting access to information.
Consent may be given in different ways such as: a) expressly by signing a document, agreeing through electronic means or verbally; or b) implicitly by providing the Personal Information voluntarily.
There may be circumstances where you have provided Personal Information for one purpose, and Real Ventures later needs to use that information for a different purpose. In such circumstances, Real Ventures will seek your consent to use the information for the new purpose unless the law permits or requires us to use the information for that new purpose.
You have the right to revoke your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information at any time. However, revocation of your consent may prevent us from providing services or products to you; in such circumstances, we will discuss with you the reason we need your Personal Information and why the revocation of your consent affects our ability to provide our services or products to you.
Transmission of personal or confidential information
If you send us personal information by filling out a form online or by any other means, we will use only the information we require to follow up on your request.
We wish to remind you that an email sent to a website is not systematically secured. Only communications or transactions made with a data encryption system are secured. Consequently, we recommend that you not use your email software to send us personal information.
The personal information transmitted is not disclosed to any other government body unless such disclosure is required by law. The information transmitted is in no case used to establish a user profile and is not disclosed to any private organizations.
Only authorized persons within our organization have access to that information and only when it is necessary for the performance of their duties. The personal information Real Ventures has is used only for the purposes for which it was collected. It is securely archived or destroyed when it is no longer needed.
When you leave the Real Ventures website
Our website contains hyperlinks to other sites. When you follow those links, you leave the Real Ventures website. The information that is then exchanged is no longer subject to our confidentiality policy, but to that of the site you are visiting.
You have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- To access the personal data held by Real Ventures about you
- To have your personal data corrected if it is incomplete or incorrect
- To opt out of receiving marketing communications at any time
- To restrict or object to the processing of personal data or request erasing personal data
- To receive a copy of the personal data which you have provided to Real Ventures, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable formation (known as “data portability”), subject to applicable laws
- Where you have provided personal data voluntarily, or otherwise consented to its use, the right to withdraw your consent
- The right to complain to a data protection authority including the CAI
Request for Personal Information Held
A request for access to an item of personal information or a request for correction must be made in writing, and must contain:
- a description of the item of information that you wish to obtain or that must be corrected;
- the time period involved;
- an item of personal information that will enable the public body to identify you, or a combination of several pieces of information (for example: your social insurance number or health insurance number, together with the names of your parents);
- your last name, first name and contact information (email, telephone number and mailing address) so that the organization may communicate with you if clarifications are required.
If you are making a request on behalf of another person, you must provide:
- a consent form or proxy;
- or the mandate signed by that person, if you are a notary or an attorney.
If you wish to gain access to the personal information of a deceased person, your status must be one of the following:
- liquidator of the succession (estate): you must provide the will search and the will;
- beneficiary of life insurance or of a death benefit: you must present a document that proves this status (life insurance policy, mortgage loan, travel insurance, etc.);
- heir: you must submit a will search, a will or proof of your status (for example a birth certificate or marriage certificate) and demonstrate your interests or rights;
- person having parental authority: you must demonstrate your title by means of a birth certificate.
Submitting a request for access
For any inquiry about your data you must send your request by completing the contact form by clicking the button below.