Real Ventures is an early-stage venture firm focused on serving daring entrepreneurs with the ambition to create successful, global companies. Since 2007, Real Ventures has dedicated itself to building the Canadian startup ecosystem on the belief that people, not money, build game-changing companies. Real Ventures provides stage-specific guidance, mentorship, and access to networks and resources to fast-track founders’ personal and company growth. Real Ventures manages $330 million across five funds and its active portfolio of 100+ companies is currently valued at $10 billion. www.realventures.com
Real Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. We work continuously on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We believe cultural fit doesn’t mean being culturally identical, and that diversity of thought enables us to challenge one another to think bigger and broader.
We are looking for an outstanding individual to join us within our investment team. Associates at Real play a critical role in the end-to-end investment process from sourcing, evaluating and dilligencing potential investments through financial due diligence, market research, and competitive analysis, and working closely with the partnership. You will help support the firm with operations and process improvement, maintain the deal flow pipeline, and firmwide information sharing.
The Associate is responsible for supporting all facets of the investment process, as well as firm wide processes. This includes financial modeling, due diligence, market assessments, and competitive analysis. In addition, the Associate will monitor and report on portfolio company performance, and support those companies on ad hoc projects. The associate will also represent Real at industry events, conferences, and networking activities.
- Support portfolio management and reporting needs
- Successfully support our partners’ outward facing activities, including events, speaking engagement research and content as appropriate.
- Get to know and effectively help support relevant Real Ventures portfolio companies and leadership teams to help accelerate their success.
- Support on firm special projects
- Collaborate cross-functionally with our administrative and investment team members to drive projects to completion- no project is too big or too small.
- Enhance Real Ventures’ internal efficiencies and communications by identifying opportunities to continually improve how we do our work
- Representing Real at industry events, conferences, and networking activities, particularly in the Toronto/Waterloo ecosystems.
- Qualify, manage and track a high volume of new investment opportunities.
- Take initial screening meetings and escalate promising opportunities to the Managing Partner
- Provide outstanding, insightful and efficient due diligence as needed including financial analysis and modeling, market research, and customer interviews
- Help put together investment memos and manage investment processes including coordinating with legal and finance teams
- Thesis work and financial modeling
- University degree, preferably with a technical or business background;
- Demonstrated interest and curiosity in early stage technology companies and trends;
- History of success and strong achievements;
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience in a tech startup, management consulting, investment banking, private equity or other fast-paced environment;
- Strong written/oral communication skills;
- Very organized, reliable and excellent organizational skills;
- Strong attention to detail as well as the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to undertake projects and produce quality and timely results;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Self-starter and problem-solver;
- Positive attitude, maturity;
- Strong skills in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) programs and Google Apps.
- Growth mindset
WHAT WE OFFER
- Leadership and personal growth and development coaching
- A high-growth, fast-paced learning environment across many industries
- Competitive compensation
- Three weeks vacation, plus an additional week during the winter holiday season (we’re closed between Dec 25th and Jan 1st)
- Work from anywhere flexibility during COVID lockdowns and a mix of in office and work-from-home post pandemic in line with health authorities guidelines.
- Benefits package that includes health and vision care and flexible healthcare resources through a Dialogue (telemedicine) account
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining the following:
(1) Describe why this opportunity interests you and how it fits into your career aspirations.
(2) Summarize how your background has prepared you to excel in this role.